Re: [linux-audio-user] DVD audio authoring

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] DVD audio authoring
From: kevin ernste (kevinernste_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 12:15:32 EEST

--- Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 05:48:32PM -0700, kevin ernste wrote:
> > The Pioneer doesn't do the real-time MLP encoding, it's done in
> > software. An encoding app writes an .mlp file which is then burned
> > from a separate tool.
>
> Ah, that explains it. Thanks. So its just video it can do in
> realtime.

Sounds silly, but I have no idea, never tried video or even looked at
it :) The software (http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com) is audio-specific.

Just to be clear, we own an internal DVD-R/RW Pioneer drive (sub $300),
not the stand-alone Pioneer setup Daniel was referring to. The
multi-channel mix (the music) is encoded in software to an mlp, and
then burned with DVD-A authoring software.

> > Regardless of MLP (highly unlikely, as you say, because of patents)
> or
> > something like it, DVD-A support for linux would be a great thing.
>
> Yes, thats very true. Are any other formats allowed for DVD-A?

Anyone else have more information about this? Is there another way to
handle high-resolution DVD-A?

> audio part of DVD video can use MPEG streams IIRC, and we have
> free-ish
> MPEG encoders. 9+ MB/s of 4 channel MPEG would be pretty high
> quality.

I'd be interested in having another look at this question. What can we
do today with Linux for DVD Audio? Frankly, I remember being
disappointed with Audio capabilities under the Video specs, which is
why we spent the cash and bought the mlp stuff.

How far (sampling/bit) does 9+ MB/s get us with, for example, 4
channels of audio (too lazy to do the math -- it's 5 am)?

Kevin