[linux-audio-user] Re: Which kernel to use for audio work?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Which kernel to use for audio work?
From: Robert Epprecht (epprecht_AT_solnet.ch)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 19:50:27 EEST

Christian Henz <chrhenz_AT_gmx.de> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 03:14:27PM +0200, Robert Epprecht wrote:
>> I'm currently setting up an audio system on Debian sarge. The system
>> will be used for audio work only.
>>
>> My sound hardware is RME Multiface and the PCI card. Of course I
>> want ALSA and JACK.
>>
>> I wonder which kernel version I should try first, 2.4.?? (which one)
>> or a 2.6.0 test kernel? I'm fine with kernel source from kernel.org
>> and don't need a debianised kernel source.

> kernel-source-2.4.21 is the latest available in Debian unstable, so
> you could just get that one, as well as alsa-source,
> kernel-patch-2.4-lowlatency, kernel-patch-2.4-preempt. You probably
> also want to apply the capability patch (manually, see jack docs @
> jackit.sf.net).

> I think this is the kernel setup that most people use.

Thank you for the information. I'll try that out now...

BTW: I was just compiling a 2.4.22 (unpatched) just before I got your
answer ;-) So I'll have both of them to try out (at least if nobody
tells me now, it is not worth bothering about one of them...)

BTW: I'd appreciate if someone would answer the question of
     Luis Pablo about low latency and 2.4.22

> For the 2.6.0-test series, you should get the latest from kernel.org,
sure...

How usable is it currently for audio?
Which patches?

Thanks a lot for sharing infos and experience, Robert.