Re: [linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart
From: Guy Clotilde (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 08:07:37 EEST

Hi

look here:
http://opensrc.org/alsa/index.php?page=ymfpci

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:47:33 -0400, BartonBosch_AT_aol.com wrote / a écrit:

> I am trying to use the hardware wavetable midi synth on my YMF 740C sound "card" onboard my motherboard with ALSA and MusE. I have been searching through the various sources of documentation trying to solve the mystery but I am stumped.

yeah, I too have searched for a long time. Strangely, midi apps were not so common in Linux. Now it's (a lot) better.

[snip]
> As far as MusE goes, I have gone through the configuration section fairly thoroughly but without finding a way to access mp401-uart. The closest thing that I found was under the midiport configuration table->other raw devices, which brought up a context dialog box which had a choice of raw midi, pipe, or something else which I can't seem to remember at the moment. I tried entering /dev/midiC0D0 as the path for the raw midi device but that didn't configure a valid midi output for the device.

The raw device is for externa synth, I believe.
As far as a sequencer goes, it's far better to use a softsynth than the legacy card synth. With a softsynth, you will have far better sounds, see for example timidity and the eawpats sound with your distro.
Wuen timidity is installed and launched (timidity -iA) you will find it in this MusE box.

cheers
GuyCLO~
#219055 http://counter.li.org
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/index.html
Change your Linux PC in a Rythm Station with holborn's GMORGAN:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/GMORGAN/index.html