[linux-audio-user] fluidsynth: Sustain bug ?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] fluidsynth: Sustain bug ?
From: Joerg Anders (j.anders_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 12:26:06 EEST

Hi all!

I hope this is the correct list for fluidsynth problems.
Meanwhile I use fluidsynth as a software MIDI synthsizer.
and it works very well (especially because my new PC has 1 GByte
RAM, thus I can use the Fluid - Release 3 soundfont from
http://www.hammersound.net/)

But there are 2 problems concerning strings (program number 48 in GM
scale with all SF2 soundfonts) and clarinet (program number 71
in GM scale, with soundfont 8mbgmsfx.sf2). It seems fluidsynth does not
correctly handle the sustain level. Please have a look at:

http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/FLUID/fluidtest.html

There you can find a 4 measure MIDI file "exam_strings.mid" of
strings playing whole notes. If I use the Fluid - Release 3 soundfont
(or any other SF2-GM-soundfont) with Audigy 2- (or AWE 64-)
wavtable synthesizer I hear what I expect: The strings hold
the tone over the whole measure.

If I play the same MIDI file with fluidsynth I hear
a short attack and then the volume decreases for
sustain to a very low almost inaudible level.
Thus, the srings play some kind of stacatto.

The same holds for the clarinet, but only if I use
soundfont 8mbgmsfx.sf2. Interestingly this effect
does not occur in case of choir "Ahhh" . You'll find
example exam_choirA.mid at the same page.

Perhaps the 2 examples can help to clariyfy what
the problem is.

I use fluidsynth version 1.0.3

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (ja_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)