Re: [linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart Problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart Problem
From: Clemens Ladisch (clemens_AT_ladisch.de)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 15:22:42 EEST

BartonBosch_AT_aol.com wrote:
> So if I wanted to deal with the FM sound quality I could use the
> legacy synth?

Yes. (You have to load instrument data with sbiload before using it.)

> > I guess Muse uses the ALSA sequencer. Run "aconnect -o" to see a
> > list of output ports.
>
> This is the output of aconnect -o when both TiMidity and MusE are running:
>
> [barton_AT_localhost barton]$ aconnect -o
> client 128: 'Client-128' [type=user]
> 0 'TiMidity port 0 '
> 1 'TiMidity port 1 '
> client 129: 'MusE Sequencer' [type=user]
> 0 'MusE Port 0 '

Neither the MPU port nor the FM synth are there.

> > Did you specifiy the parameters for snd-ymfpci in modules.conf?
> > (e.g. mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388)
>
> No I didn't. So to use alsa with the midi port that is on the
> motherboard I would need to configure the memory address
> mpu_port=0x330 in /etcmodules.conf? Does the line need to go in a
> specific place, and is that the exact syntax?

Put the following line anywhere in you modules.conf (if there is
already a line beginning with "options snd-ymfpci", simply add these
parameters):

        options snd-ymfpci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388

> Is this documented somewhere?

In the entry for your card at <http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/>,
but the options aren't really explained.

HTH
Clemens