Re: [linux-audio-user] piano keys

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] piano keys
From: Rick Taylor (ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 12:54:12 EEST

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 08:56:18 +0200Emiliano Grilli <emillo_AT_libero.it>
> giovedì, 04 settembre 2003 alle 19:32:00, Rick Taylor ha scritto:
> > Emiliano Grilli,

> > > I think blender is one of the shiniest examples of a very good } } } interface, and of the power of the community behind it: a real
} } } "symbol" of open source software (with the literal "liberation" to
} } } GPL!!!)

> > It's only been open source for a few months. I think it's a great } } testament to what someone can do if they don't accept the } } accepted... think for themselves, all that...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here... AFAIK blender is still under GPL
> license. I don't know well the hystory of NaN but IIRC after the 100k
} $ collection blender now is free software (as in freedom)...

 Blender didn't begin life "free". It started as an in-house thing.
 They decided to go open source just a short while ago {October 13,
 2002 to be precise}. http://www.blender3d.org/Foundation/?sub=History

 I think the interface is something that programs like Premiere
 {Which is otherwise {aside from being slow and a bit buggy} a
 pretty nice program} where you got 3 zillion buttons and boxes
 full of icons, that you've got to constantly move all over the
 screen in order to find what you're looking for, might do well
 to emulate. 3DMax has a pretty decent solution... I think
 Blender does it better. It manages to pack an entire 3d studio
 into a couple of megs. It works, etc... :}

> > Don't forget who wrote it.

> I don't know them, are they "enemies" of OSS?

 :} I doubt it.