[linux-audio-user] Re: RME hammerfall DSP Multiface: help needed

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: RME hammerfall DSP Multiface: help needed
From: Robert Epprecht (epprecht_AT_solnet.ch)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 21:15:51 EEST

"Mark Knecht" <mknecht_AT_controlnet.com> writes:

> OK, so this means that now a stereo signal is getting from alsaplayer into
> the RME. For these meters to register at all the audio has to be in the
> card, and it is, so that's good.

Yes, but I want some more ;-)

> If you have no meters on the last row, that is not good, but it doesn't
> necessarily mean that the card will not produce audio. The green audio in
> hdspmixer is read out of the card. If it's not being displayed, then one of
> two things is happening:
>
> 1) Playback audio (wnd row) is not being routed to the outputs

It *looks* as if it would be routed to the outputs.

> 2) hdspmixer is not reading the proper locations when trying to display t.

Possible, but I have *no* electrical signal on the output jacks either.

> You could try amixer commands by hand,

I had tried this before asking for help on this list. I had the impression
to do it right, but I'll retry...

> You will need to discover your correct numbers. Try amixer for some clues,
> although I still don't really understand what it tells me.

I had found information on the net about the numbers to use for my hardware
searching the net. I had tried out all the suggestions I could find, before
I asked here. But maybe I made a mistake...

> [ talking about alsaplayer ]
> It appears to me that the player is working correctly.

It looks like.

> [ ... ] but just because the box says A1+A2 doesn't
> mean it's routing audio if the fader is down. If the fader is up, then the
> card should be routing audio.

I had moved the faders and unmuted the channels (both with hdspmixer and/or
amixer).

>> I think I could have made a very basic newbie mistake, even though I *did*
>> a lot of searching on the net, and did a lot of RTFM. I do not pretend
>> that I understood all of it, though.
>
> This is Linux. If you're like me you'll be making newbie mistakes forever!
> ;-)

It's like life, isn't it?

> Jack is not running then, but it's not required.

That's what I thought. Thank you for making that clear.
Hmm, but what if my Debian setup has configured some 'things' to use JACK
and I don't? Feeling newbie'ish again...

> I think you may have a firmware problem. Possibly with older firmware,
> probably available from RME's web site, you will do better.

I am a bit resistant to downgrade the firmware.
I'd like to hear from somebody who really knows what's the situation
with firmware, maybe Thomas?

Thanks a lot for your patience,
Robert