Re: [linux-audio-user] pd+jack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] pd+jack
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 20:24:50 EEST

Hallo,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> When running Frank's exmaple pd patch (and all the others I've tried)
> under JACK, using the Planet CCRMA version of pd I get lots of IO Errors
> reported by pd, even though there doesnt seem to be any dropouts, the cpu
> load is low and jack doesnt report any xruns.
>
> Is there a .pdrc file or something where I can set the block size to make
> it match jacks? Or is there something else wrong?

There is "-blocksize <n> -- specify audio I/O block size in sample
frames", maybe that helps. Another thing to try is running Pd with
"-realtime" for higher scheduling. You need to do a "chmod +s
/usr/bin/pd" then.

My patch should use a only minimal amount of CPU, it's a really cheap
one. Maybe running Pd 0.37, compiled from source works better. It
might be that Pd 0.36 handles jack 0.80 not correctly. If you try 0.37
be sure to use the CVS version from pure-data.sf.net (or use the
Debian source package [1] from unstable, which is provided by Guenther
Geiger who also does the Jack support in Pd and should be based on the
CVS version)

[1] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/sound/puredata.html

ciao