Re: [linux-audio-user] Steinberg USB MIDI 2 and red hat?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Steinberg USB MIDI 2 and red hat?
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 20:34:59 EEST

Aaron Trumm wrote:
> Hi there. Does anybody have a step by step on how to get a little
> Steinberg USB MIDI 2 (2 ins 2 outs, little blueish box) running with red
> hat 9? I have installed the planet ccrma alsa stuff, along with the
> audio stuff. things are working to some degree (except I haven't been
> able to record yet - but I'll wait to ask about that, when my real sound
> card comes :) )
>
> I haven't got a clue, basically. I'm pretty new. When I wanted a midi
> interface to work in Cakewalk for DOS (that's right, that's what I was
> using last) I just downloaded the driver, and copied the driver into a
> file called driver.something - this apparently is not quite that
> simple? (I have read the planet ccrma how to on usb interfaces - so far
> nothing, and I was afraid the apt-get hotplug thing would flash firmware
> onto my steinberg that wouldn't be right, considering the steinberg
> isn't listed on their hardware list...

hotplug is so that your system can communicate with USB devices. If you
already have a usb device that is working you don't need to install it.

You should try using hte usb-audio driver and report what you get with

        cat /proc/asound/devices
or cat /proc/asound/cards

If it is standards complient it should work out of the box. If it needs
firmware then Clemens Ladisch is your best bet. But he may be busy.

--

Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd. http://www.boosthardware.com http://www.djcj.org - The Linux Audio Users guide ========================================

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman