RE: [linux-audio-user] Problems with Redhat 9(Shrike)

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Problems with Redhat 9(Shrike)
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 16:39:44 EEST

Stew,
   As others have said, check out PlanetCCRMA. I use it on a couple of my machines and it's great for Redhat users. Fernando also tends to be pretty responsive to questions asked on that list as it's pretty low bandwidth and a very focused group of users.

   That said, I think that there is no 'Redhat sound stuff'. What might be running depends on what windows environment you are running. KDE and Gnome use different sound servers, I think. fluxbox, which I use for audio applications, uses no sound server so Alsa has nothing to conflict with.

   If you are using KDE, then there is a system configuration panel in the KDE menus, and in that panel there is a sound configuration page. From there you need to uncheck the 'Start Arts on startup' or whatever that item says, and also tell KDE not to play any sounds. You might also want to turn off the automatic polling of your CD drive for audio disks as this will sometimes start Arts also.

   As for Gnome, I don't use it so I don't know how to help you there, but I'm sure it's probably pretty similar.

   Again, you could try out fluxbox as you will have no conflicts using it, but many GUI oriented folks think it's too minimalistic. It all comes down to preferences.

   One last option. A app called qjackctl has some commands for stopping other sound servers before it starts Jack for Alsa. You might try that out, even if you're not going to use Jack.

Cheers,
Mark