Re: OT: [linux-audio-user] Problems with Redhat 9(Shrike)

Subject: Re: OT: [linux-audio-user] Problems with Redhat 9(Shrike)
From: Rick Taylor (ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 12:43:53 EEST

Tim Hall <tim_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2003 14:39, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > As for Gnome, I don't use it so I don't know how to help you there, but
> > I'm sure it's probably pretty similar.
> I also have no experience with using Gnome. Artsd conflicts with ALSA like
> nothing else AFAIK.

 Gnome has its own server. You can turn it off. Same with artsd.
 Gnome2's pretty excellent. {So's KDE... I like mixing and matching.}

> > Again, you could try out fluxbox as you will have no conflicts using it,
> > but many GUI oriented folks think it's too minimalistic. It all comes down
> > to preferences.
>
> I would really recommend fluxbox if you've tried it and frozen in fear at the
> apparently blank screen going '"erk, where are all my lovely widgets and
> icons" - and that has sent you screaming for the comfort of Gnome or KDE -
> You don't need 'em, you won't miss 'em. Right-click and it all comes up on
> one menu. It's beautiful and it doesn't get in the way, it's easy to
> customise and does what you need it to do. Since I got used to it, everything
> else seems clunky and over complicated. It's worth geting used to for
> resource intensive stuff like music making even if you resort back to
> something else for your office & internet work.

 FVWM is very nice... has a small footprint and has a lot more options and features.
 Windowmaker is wonderful for almost anything. Sawfish is nice if you want to script
 stuff. Ice has all sorts of features and one zillion themes {Tho' I'm running it
 with the motif clone.} MWM from http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/ is about as
 customizable as it gets... running it somehow makes your system feel like it's
 lubricated... :} XFCE http://www.xfce.org/ is really fast, really full featured
 has all the desktop stuff as well as a fast windowmanager {a perfect desktop for
 black/fluxbox {tho' the stuff that goes along with fluxbox is very cool as well
 http://www.fluxbox.org/ }}, :} I've never liked openlook {too fancy}, apparently
 I need to compile scwm from cvs iin order to run it on rh9 {and I haven't had
 time to do that.}

 There are some very minimal window managers available...
 http://freshmeat.net/browse/56/?topic_id=56 some of them are excellent

 {Debian lets you download most of them with dselect.}