Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux synths

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux synths
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 11:58:08 EEST

Hallo,

Jeremiah Benham hat gesagt: // Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:06:37AM -0700, Ken Locarnini wrote:
>
> > I've used Csound alot in the past too. Mostly command line from
> > Common Music which I like alot. I'm trying to go more real-time
> > though now. I just decided I would try and get into PD!
>
> Csound can do realtime stuff also.

Can Csound do runtime changes to its patches now? I think one of the
major differences between Pd/(j)Max and 'compiled' languages like
Csound or sfront is the ability to directly edit a patch while it is
running. It's a bit like: Csound is great if you know what you're
doing in advance, while with Pd you can experiment and immediatly hear
or see what you're developing while you're doing so.

Of course it is dangerous to just let Pd patches stay that: an
interactive work-in-progess mess. But in general I've found that in Pd
I would build things - with the same "opcodes" or building blocks as
in Csound -, I would have never thought of while still using Csound.

I *think* (never used it yet) that Supercollider is somehow in between
in that it has a dynamic, interactive language interpreter a bit like
the one in Python.

Supercollider seems to be the coolest anyway. I want Debian packages
of it ;)

ciao