Re: [linux-audio-user] multitrack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] multitrack
From: Jeremiah Benham (jjbenham_AT_chicagoguitar.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 06:26:15 EEST

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:02:29AM -0500, Rick Taylor wrote:
> I've heard that Broadcast 2000 is really good... You could probably
> use Cinelerra for the same thing. Main Actor gives you pretty much
> unlimited tracks, etc...

I hope I am not spreading the wrong info but I know Cinelerra was
orriginally a multitrack recorder. It seems rather intuitive at
recording many tracks at once. The thing I think that is not intuitive
about is overdubbing or recording a track 3 while listening to tracks 1
and 2 that gave been previously recorded. If it is possible it totally
went over my head. I tried unclicking the record on tracks one and two
while leaving record on then I figured I could either hit r to open up
the record window. That did not play the tracks one and two while I was
trying to record. I also tried it in the main window by adding an extra
track and then I did not have a clue on how to record from that. I
believe you could actually record with bcast2000 from the main window.

I have alot of mixed feelings about Cinelerra It has a beautiful gui
that for the most part has gotten alot more intuitive since bcast2000.
It kind of bothers me that it is so difficult to compile and that for
the most part it is only for x86. The reason for this is because it has
hand made assemly code in it. I heard some people tried to port it
to it to the ppc but it was not incredibly stable. I like many of the
features. Don't get me wrong it has some incredible features. I just
wish that I think there is only one guy working on it and he does not
accept patches from developers and there is no cvs.

Jeremiah