Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK splat

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK splat
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 15:54:15 EEST

Robert Jonsson wrote:

> Thursday 18 September 2003 14:19 skrev Dave Phillips:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I'm having an interesting problem with JACK (0.81.1). When running it
> > I can't start non-JACK apps, e.g., after starting JACK (with Rui's neat
> > qjackctl) I'm unable to open Snd until I stop JACK. Is this expected
> > behavior ? I hope not...
>
> Are you sure you could do it with other versions of Jack?

Now that I think about it, no, I'm not sure about that. I've usually
reserved JACK use for Ardour, so I might not have ever tried running a
non-JACK app with the server open.

> I don't know how Snd works, but it seems probable that it opens the
> sound-device on startup. And if it is occupied by a sound-server, any
> sound-server, the app may not start.

I'm pretty sure Snd operates in just that manner, and I understand what
you're telling me. I also tried opening it with jacklaunch but got no
joy. :(

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org