Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie: Realtime kernel and THAC's rpms

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie: Realtime kernel and THAC's rpms
From: Austin (aacton_AT_yorku.ca)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 16:02:38 EEST

On 09/27/2003 12:43:24 PM, Ketil Thorgersen wrote:
> Great! I knew of course that 9.2 was just around the corner, but had no idea
> it would provide a DAW out of the box.

As I said, only out of the Powerpack box. ;-) But the rpms are available
through urpmi as well.

> This is really great news! Will I be
> asked during installation if I prefer a low latency kernel and if
> installation should be optimised for multimedia, or is the new kernel
> equally good at everything?

Unfortunately, the multimedia kernel you must install yourself, becuase it is
a security risk due to the capabilities patch. Of cource you can do this with
one command:
# urpmi kernel-multimedia
Which also worked with 9.1 by the way.

> Would be great to get it working now nonetheless:-)

The howto for 9.1 is still available at
http://groundstate.ca/mdkaw.html
but it will be updated within the next few weeks to 9.2, mainly concerning the
beautiful new GUI for jack, and ardour's new and improved configuration menus.

Austin

--
                                 Austin Acton
        Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant, Ph.D. Candidate