Re: [linux-audio-user] Filesystem: Ardour / SWD / Laptop

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Filesystem: Ardour / SWD / Laptop
From: Austin (aacton_AT_yorku.ca)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 23:38:40 EEST

On 09/28/2003 12:13:26 PM, glimt wrote:
> Laptops go into suspend mode, come out of suspend mode, support suspend to
> disk, etc. Most of the bugs I have seen mentioned revolve around this
> area. Also, laptops tend to run out of power and just go thunk (if no
> power management is configured) than desktops do.

You're right. I rarely use battery power on my laptop, so I didn't think of
that.

> How does ReiserFS perform for multimedia work? OK, or do I really
> absolutely need to use XFS?

As I said previously, both reiser and xfs noticeably outperform etx3 for
multimedia apps. They seem about the same except for serious video editing,
where xfs reigns supreme. Like I said, for audio, the most important thing is
to speed up /tmp... ext REALLY sucks for /tmp.

Austin

--
                                 Austin Acton
        Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant, Ph.D. Candidate