Re: [linux-audio-user] Weird glitchy noise in Mozilla

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Weird glitchy noise in Mozilla
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 04:24:17 EEST

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 20:23, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> > BTW - much non-Alsa audio from Games works fine, but also drives all
> > 26 playback channels. Should it really work this way?
> >

> No, but the hdsp only has one subdevice IIUC and the oss emulation
> probably onpens the subdevice for writing. You should let the alsa
> developer sknow that this is happening so they can make a work around
> for devices like yours or fix the driver.
>
> Most people don' use an hdsp for playing games on anyhow. It's common to
> have a consumer card for that as hw:0 and the pro cards as hw:1 hw:2 ...

Patrick and anyone else who could help, please check this out.

I ran across a web page that always creates this problem I'm having. I'm
wondering if it's the setup of my machine, or possibly has something to
do with my specific HDSP 9652 driver, or is possibly showing up on all
of the HDSP product line.

I'd like to ask a few kind folks to visit this page in the next few days
and report back what happens on your system:

http://www.native-instruments.com

On the top right look for the sound demo of Absynth 2. There's both a
'play' button and a 'play all' button. Hit either one and listen to the
audio.

On my system before the audio plays I get a horrible, loud static noise,
and then the demo plays. On the 'play all' option I get this noise in
between each sample sound.

I'd like to get some feedback on what works for others on this site.
This may be a problem with only my driver, or maybe you'll hear it also
in which case it could be a more generic Alsa problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Mark