Re: [linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in
From: jordan muscott (morsecode_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 00:32:55 EEST

Rick Taylor wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 18:15:21 +0100
>jordan muscott <morsecode_AT_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Im really sorry about the volume of nonsense here :(
>>
>>Slackware 9.
>>PIII 866
>>alsa 0.9.7
>>
>>Has anyone succesfully recorded via the spdif input on this card using
>>arecord? I'm getting lots of 'overuns' which result in jumps when I
>>playback the resulting file. I've just built a new kernel with low
>>latency but this has made no difference at all. For example:
>>
>>[jordan_AT_bootsy new]$ arecord -f dat -D spdif 909track.wav
>>Recording WAVE '909track.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
>>Hz, Stereo
>>overrun!!! (at least 0.090 ms long)
>>overrun!!! (at least 0.030 ms long)
>>overrun!!! (at least 0.061 ms long)
>>overrun!!! (at least 0.030 ms long)
>>
>>This doesn't look ideal to me either:
>>
>>[jordan_AT_bootsy jordan]$ cat /proc/interrupts
>> CPU0
>> 0: 98023 XT-PIC timer
>> 1: 1556 XT-PIC keyboard
>> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
>> 8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
>>10: 108365 XT-PIC eth0
>>11: 14874 XT-PIC aic7xxx, ICE1712
>>12: 27245 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
>>15: 2 XT-PIC ide1
>>NMI: 0
>>LOC: 97983
>>ERR: 0
>>MIS: 0
>>
>>If I use the nvidia drivers for my graphics card then nvidia appears on
>>irq 11 as well. My bios doesn't look like it supports setting irqs, and
>>I tried switching the slots that my ethernet card (eth0) and my sound
>>card are plugged into but they still appear on the same irqs.
>>
>>Any help or pointers would be much appreciated. Even if someone just
>>sais "no, it doens't work for me either", then at least I'll know that
>>I'm not the only person who has wasted money on this card :=(
>>

> :} Them great big cards is called "motherboards".
>
> Does yours have any distinguishing features? ...Maybe a brand name or model
>number?

Hmm, I was dreading the problem could be here:

AOpen AX3S Pentium III Celeron Socket 370 133MHz 4x AGP ATX Motherboard.

Thats what it sais on the box anyway.

> Any IRQs blocked or not enabled? Can you at least reserve any of them?
>Which slots are shared, do you need the SCSI? What's mapped to 3, 5 and 7,
>etc? Why is nothing mapped to 3, 5 or 7?

Yeah I do need the scsi because my only hard drive is plugged into it ;=)
I have no idea why nothing is mapped to 3, 5, or 7. I don't think any
IRQs are blocked or not enabled, but I've never done any fiddling with
IRQs before so I could be missing something. I don't remember my bios
offering me the ability to change anything here... I'll have another
look next time I boot though.

Thanks,
 Jordan.