Re: [linux-audio-user] Re Digital Audio Out on kernel 2.6

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re Digital Audio Out on kernel 2.6
From: Q (raid517_AT_fairadsl.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 12:30:31 EEST

Lol, I'm sorry to have taken up your bandwidth, I surely don't mean to
use up any more time and resources than you folks can afford.

But 'piping sound out via any other audio capable cable' isn't really
the answer I was hoping for. SPDIF passthrough - and digital sound in
general - to an external dolby digital amplifier is a whole different
kettle of fish than that, as it involves a considerable amount of post
processing power on behalf of the digital amplifier. There is no true
5.1 (or indeed 7.1) audio playback - and subsequent channel
seperation/decoding without some direct form of digital link. Without
this all you get is a kind of dumb (literally) analoge reproduction of
whatever the soundcard throws at it. There is no 'intelligent'
processing at all.

As for installing Red Hat, well I am a Gentoo Linux user... For better
or for worse that is what I am... It has taken me 4 months to get Gentoo
set up (its only rival in terms of difficulty to install is I think
Linux from Scratch) and after having gotten everything else working, I'm
not in the mood to give up now.

But it does make me wonder... If Redhat could do it, then surely there
must be a way? If you guys do have any clues, please let me know...

PS,

In case it's helpful, here is a list of the modules I currently have
running in my kernel:

bash-2.05b# lsmod
Module Size Used by
DAC960 75944 0
ide_floppy 18816 0
uhci_hcd 32912 0
snd_via82xx 25440 2
snd_ac97_codec 54404 1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart 7936 1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi 25376 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 8584 1 snd_rawmidi
snd_pcm_oss 52644 0
snd_pcm 99108 4 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 12036 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_timer 26116 1 snd_pcm
snd 51428 10
snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 9664 1 snd
via_agp 7168 1
agpgart 32552 2 via_agp
fglrx 204292 150