Re: [linux-audio-user] Re Digital Audio Out on kernel 2.6

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re Digital Audio Out on kernel 2.6
From: Q (raid517_AT_fairadsl.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 13:45:36 EEST

Yes but... that seems to add another whole layer of complexity to what
already seems like a complex state of affairs. How exactly would I pipe
sound from a little onboard soundchip to a firewre port? My onboard
sound doesn't have a firewire port... The only option after that is to
pump the two remaining analoge sound channels to some kind of box, which
then had firwire connections going... erm.. where exactly? Why wouldn't
I just pump the two analoge channels directly to my amp? Except that
would kind of defeat the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

I think direct digital decoding is still preferable to any exotic
solution such as 'network sound' or sound somehow pumped through a
firewire port to somewhere (although sadly my amp doesn't have a
firewire port either. It would be cool if it did though) though some
kind of complex arrangement.

I am sure a 'conventional' arrangement should be possible. The question
is, as it was before, how?