Re: AW: [linux-audio-user] ogg player for Windows?

Subject: Re: AW: [linux-audio-user] ogg player for Windows?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 01:42:55 EEST

Hallo,
Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:

> And on the other hand, Linux based musicians who *want* their music to be
> heard are cutting their nose off not making it extremely available through
> mp3s. Frankly, independent of the perceived advantages of .ogg over mp3
> (open source, sounds better, no licensing issues or royalty payments) it's
> just good business to make your product usable by more people. That leads to
> good stuff. Forcing people to go to .ogg seems like it's backwards to the
> open source movement.

I disagree. I see a necessity in trying to force people to use ogg or
any other free (as speech) codec, before "digital rights protected"
codecs get more widely used. It's politics, but I think it important.
Mp3 is not an alternative here, because there already are more
powerful commercial and DRM enabled codecs available and it is an
important task to not let these take over.

ciao