Re: [linux-audio-user] More MIDI/sysex dump/sequencers...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] More MIDI/sysex dump/sequencers...
From: Aaron Trumm (aaron_AT_nquit.com)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 06:08:00 EEST

> i'm not saying the situation is good, but i cant see a good
> argument for integrating this functionality into a 'sequencer'.
> I think many people would say that creating bloated monolithic
> apps was the wrong direction to go in.

yeah I guess you're right. a stand alone librarian would be just the
trick - if they seemed to exist! :) it sort of seemed to me that it was now
an easier or more likely thing that you'd see a bit of a sysex librarian
inside a sequencer package than as a standalone, but now that I think about
it, nah.

I hadn't thought of it as bloated per se *laugh* it's a simple feature
that's a part of cakewalk for DOS, for god's sake - they all seem to do
realtime sysex recording/playback - seems a lot easier to do normal dumping
to me, since that was happening before realtime sysex stuff (or WAS it?)
but it used to be that they hadn't integrated sysex stuff into sequencers,
so you'd get these little midi librarian programs. well ok then cakewalk
and others integrated the little midi librarian into the sequencer. hence,
my thought...

never fear, i'm not done searching. midi mountain might do it. jazz++
might do it (anybody know?) but, alas, I have yet to get either of these
little critters to compile. jazz has all kinds of damn dependancies! it
wants wxwin 168e which i haven't been able to find. midi mountain just sort
of - won't. there's a libarian of sorts called glib - haven't managed to
get it compiled either (a weird problem I may be on here asking about ;) -
on and on! :)

> did you look at jsynth?
> http://www.overwhelmed.org/jsynthlib/
> i havnt tried it but if its as advertised it should
> do what you want i think.

ahh yes. I THINK you may be right, but i'm not sure. i did find this
package, downloaded it, and it requires a java runtime enviroment, and i
have yet to try getting that installed, being that it got late and i turned
off the studio and came home to watch brainless movies :) but it may be the
ticket, if I can suceed with getting java installed :)

> good luck!

thanks!

ps:
a weird thing happened in the middle of this:

cat filename.syx >/dev/midi00 WORKED - once. and never again. and the
synth was a little disconcerted by the dumpfile, but that is probably the
quirkyness of that particular synth. then the cat command stopped working.
it would send out and I could see midi lights lighting up and the synth took
the data that one time - it was like a 2 minute window of that command doing
the job and then boof the window closed, the universe turned its back,
Krishna was lonely again and it worked no more! *laugh* go figure that one.