Re: [linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 17:59:31 EEST

Benjamin Flaming wrote:

> I have to agree. I have heard a few dozen tracks made with Linux
>software, and while they certainly possess artistic and technical
>merit, I didn't hear anything that I wanted to listen to a second time.

You need to look around a bit more. Part of the fun is the journey to
get to the destination.

>IMHO, until we produce at least a few examples of music which could be
>released by a major label, we simply will *not* be taken seriously.

How do you quantify this? If we are to take the recent discussions as a
vague example of the attitude people have towards open source sound or
linux audio, we are unlikely to ever hear that any major artist uses
tools created in/by this community.

> The good news is that most of the tools are in place now, and I
>suspect that there are a lot of people (like me) who are motivated to
>create commercially viable art with Linux, but are in the process of
>discovering and exploring these tools right now. I think a lot of new
>people are coming into the Linux audio community these days, some of
>them undoubtedly with extensive studio recording and music production
>backgrounds, and it is my hope that as they become familiar with the
>tools over the next year or so, we'll begin to see a proliferation of
>high-quality Linux-made recordings. :)

Maybe it is already happening. Just in areas of production most
listeners will never find out about, or are even interested in.

Have you noticed that nearly all the new movies with any computer geek
has the geek using a form of x windows? It ain't running on a M$ or mac
setup.

"The revolution will not be televised"....

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman