Re: [linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in
From: Rick Taylor (ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 15:07:38 EEST

"wes schreiner" <wes_AT_infosink.com> wrote:

>>http://www.rt.com/man/setserial.8.html
>
> "It is important to note that setserial merely tells the
> Linux kernel where it should expect to find the I/O port
> and IRQ lines of a particular serial port. It does *not*
> configure the hardware, the actual serial board, to use a
> particular I/O port."

 Is there a difference? Does it really matter if you lie to your kernel?

>>http://www.scyld.com/diag/
>
>Only mentions changing ISA network card interrupts.
>
>>http://www.opsycon.com/PMON2000/OnlineManual/CmdRef/cmd_pcfg.htm
>
>Does the same job as setpci. Includes an interactive mode.

 I think you need to re-read.

 If I look hard enough... I'm sure I can find something that will reach into
your bios and let you turn your whole machine inside out. Strangely enough... I
don't really see a point. The discussion concerned configuring ones machine to
see a particular "hardware suite" properly. Whether you change the actual
hardware or you change the way the software {like your bios} sees it you achieve
the same end.