RE: [linux-audio-user] Make a .GIG out of the MIS piano Was: Re: Copyrights on samples

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Make a .GIG out of the MIS piano Was: Re: Copyrights on samples
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 21:01:27 EEST

> exactly, if you (or others) are experienced with GigaStudio you could
> try to assemble a .GIG instrument.

Sure, but as I pointed out in the next email, I think there's not a good
reason to go through that effort just yet:

1) There are free piano libraries out there, or you can buy one starting at
probably $39 or so. East-West comes to mind.

2) Today's best GSt pianos are doing 16 (or more) layers pedal up, 16 (or
more) layers pedal down AND release samples. It does make a big difference
to have both pedal down and release samples.

If you hardware cannot handle that library, then these high end libraries
all ship stripped down versions that use just pieces, like only pedal up and
no release, to ease the burden on hardware. Even the high-end ones only run
about $200, so at 33 samples * 88 notes or about 2500 wave files, someone
has to really WANT to do this because it's only costing about 10 cents per
wave file and they have a better piano so sample.

This still comes back, in my mind as a GSt user for about 3 years, to having
some sounds that are worthwhile. Taking an existing synth, or piano, and
doing some processing to make something new will be more useful than just
another GSt piano library.

BTW - do you know about the Piano Shootout page?

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/pianocompare.html

There must be close to 100 piano libraries right now just on this site...

- Mark