Re: [linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing
From: Michal Seta (mis_AT_creazone.32k.org)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 05:54:33 EEST

Greg Reddin wrote:
> Have I totally
> missed the point?

not at all. You said what I was too lazy to elaborate about :)

> OTOH, the tools, like the music needs to be commercially viable, at
> least for those who choose to make their living off of it. And I
> think it could be and someday will be. It would be a shame for all
> this cool innovation to only be accessible to programmers --
> especially since many of the developers are going out of their way to
> make it accessible to non-programmers.

I will risk a little exaggeration but I think I could relate the people who
now use the tools available in linux (at whatever degree of useability they
are) to those who poioneered the analog production and music making
techniques in the 20's 30's 40's 50's. Look how long it took from the first
piece of 'electroacoustic/acousmatic' music piece in the 30's (Pierre Henry
et Pierre Shaeffer) to use of sampling (as the only sound source) in the pop
music (70's?) and even now there are no artists that come to mind (among the
most selling ones) who do it nearly as creatively as those 2 guys did in the
30's (save, perhaps, for some of the more 'experimental' pieces of Aphex
Twins). I can see, 40 years from now, linux as _the_ platform for sound
recording/production/performance... or rather some derivative...

--
	      _
      __  __ (_)___   Michal Seta