Re: [linux-audio-user] noise from soundcard

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] noise from soundcard
From: Tommi Sakari Uimonen (tuimonen_AT_cc.hut.fi)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 01:06:49 EEST

> Today I tried removing the stereo mini plug from my soundcard and
> touching it to the metal on my case. The sound was nearly identical.
> >From the little that I know about electronics, I conclude that the
> problem is voltage fluctuations in the metal of the case. Does this
> mean my case needs to be grounded somehow?
>
> What can I do to fix this problem?

Do you hear the same noise with headphones in the Sound Blaster card and
all other outputs/inputs disconnected from all cards?

I suggest that you take your electricity for the computer and amplifier
and all that get's physically connected to them from one grounded outlet.
And beware if you have antennas connected to the system, they give ground
loop humming also.

I have all my vcr, amplifier, cd-player, computer, monitor, etc. taken
from one grounded outlet. So they all should share same ground. Also easy
to plug just one socket out in case of thunder.

Tommi