[linux-audio-user] noise from soundcard

Subject: [linux-audio-user] noise from soundcard
From: Joshua Haberman (joshua_AT_haberman.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 00:51:21 EEST

This is a little off-topic, but I hope you don't mind. I get quite a
lot of noise from my soundcard. There is a pulsing that sounds
something like a very fast morse code at a consistent pitch, and it's
unacceptably loud. I notice variations in this noise based on how I
move my mouse.

At first I thought this was just because of my shoddy 5-year-old
Soundblaster Live, but I have a new Audiophile 2496 and it does the same
thing.

Today I tried removing the stereo mini plug from my soundcard and
touching it to the metal on my case. The sound was nearly identical.
>From the little that I know about electronics, I conclude that the
problem is voltage fluctuations in the metal of the case. Does this
mean my case needs to be grounded somehow?

What can I do to fix this problem?

Josh