Re: [linux-audio-user] noise from soundcard

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] noise from soundcard
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 01:35:33 EEST

Joshua Haberman wrote on Thu, 16-Oct-2003:

> This is a little off-topic, but I hope you don't mind. I get quite a
> lot of noise from my soundcard. There is a pulsing that sounds
> something like a very fast morse code at a consistent pitch, and it's
> unacceptably loud. I notice variations in this noise based on how I
> move my mouse.

It appears to be system load based, it might be an internal voltage
interaction when your CPU goes from idle to active. I've seen
this before..... try to run this at a bash prompt:
  while true; do yes > /dev/null ; done

Then try your audio, and see how it changes. The noise might
go away entirely with a non-idle processor. Try different buffer sizes and see
if the pitch changes.

jlc