[linux-audio-user] Sound Library?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Sound Library?
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 11:22:44 EEST

Hello. Regarding the recent discussion, would anyone else be
interested in creating a free sound library? Both the instrumental
sounds and the sound effects.

How to organize such a project? From my experience the most
difficult part is in getting the equipment together. We need to
match the people who have the equipment (or money) and the people
who are willing to record the sounds. (I'm only in the second group,
unfortunately.)

We need
 -Microphone
 -Portable recorder and/or a sound-proof recording studio
 -Music instruments

Microphone could be of any quality if that is only what we have.
The portable recorder as well need not be a quality device if
that is all we have. This is so because it is better to get the
project started now.

I have a cheap stereo microphone. Anyone could borrow me a portable
MiniDisc recorder? Anything which has stereo microphone input?

We need recording guides for how and what to record. I have already
sound effect catalogs of Sound Ideas so the "what" should not be
a problem. We archive the raw recordings even for the instrument
sounds, because different group of people can then make proper synth
sound files out of the raw recordings. For sound effects we take
the modern approach by assuming that the effects can be postprocessed:
for example, we don't arrange and mix "horses, men, swords, fighting"
sound effects, but instead, we assume the end-users are cabable of
arranging the fight scenes theirself. Similarly we assume the end-users
have full environmental acoustics processing tools: for example,
a passing car can be made with doppler and suitable acoustics.

So, with the sound library we could provide a 3D geometry editing
software with 3D acoustics: 3D scene + animation.

Best regards,
Juhana