Re: [linux-audio-user] recording issue? /dev/dsp

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] recording issue? /dev/dsp
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 21:09:30 EEST

> >I am trying to record from line in and I can hear the source
> > through my speakers, but I don't get any waveform in sweep.
> > I'm using /dev/dsp as my recording device. Any suggestions
> > would be appreciated thanks.
>
> I have encoutered this problem, as well, using audacity.

If your speakers are connected via the line out on the soundcard, then
the audio must be being captured from line in unless you have
hardware monitoring features (often called 'zero latency
monitoring').

If that's not the case (ie you are not routing the speakers through
the soundcard) and assuming your soundcard is fully supported by the
installed driver and is set up correctly, it sounds to me like you
haven't got your mixer set to the right channel for recording from
line in.

If you have ALSA drivers installed, try running alsamixer and see
which channel is set for 'capture'. If you have OSS drivers, try
aumix or kmix.

If that fails then I would go back and check that your soundcard is
fully supported by the driver, then try some setup tests.

Cheers

Daniel