Re: [linux-audio-user] Frustrated, but definately not giving up.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Frustrated, but definately not giving up.
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 21:33:59 EEST

Christopher Mazur <cjmazur_AT_shaw.ca> writes:

> Does anyone know how to get RoseGarden4 and Ardour 0.9beta5 to play
> nicely? I thought that's why they added the JACK master/transport
> master function in Beta5 and I'd really like to have both of them
> synced.

That *is* the goal. But, in a distributed development environment
like Linux Audio, it takes time for all the projects to "synch up".
:-)

> ... I've gotten this far, but I can't get Ardour in Sync with
> Rosegarden when I press play in Ardour, rosegarden isn't "chasing"
> or locking onto sync. I'm trying to capture my sampler which is
> inputted to my Delta card and have the MIDI/Audio in sync. and no,
> I haven't been using MTC either..

Ardour beta5 has transport and timebase master working, but the "synch
to JACK" option is still not implemented. When I asked Paul Davis
about that, he said it would take a "small amount of code".

> I've noticed there is a Start|Pause feature in the qjackctl front
> end for JackD but It doesn't seem to have any effect.

That starts and stops the transport. To have a visible effect you
need clients that will synch to the JACK transport.

> Is this configuring possible, or am I mistaken and just
> misinterpreting what the terminologies mean? If it's in fact just
> ardour and/or rosegarden has anyone been successful in syncing a
> MIDI sequencer and multi-track audio editor (MUSE/Audacity perhaps?)

I don't know of any general MIDI sequencer that has released JACK
transport support yet. Here is the current status AFAIK...

   rosegarden -- developers have expressed interest, but they need to
   fold that back into their own release plans and schedules

   MUSE -- I have not heard any plans

   ardour -- has partial support in beta5 (master, not slave)

   ecasound -- has a full implementation of both master and slave

   audacity -- if it has JACK support of any kind I haven't heard
   about it

   hydrogen -- has JACK transport support in the latest release

I would be interested to hear about others, and to receive corrections
for any misunderstandings on my part.

Regards,

--
  Jack O'Quin