Re: [linux-audio-user] vst plugins+instruments under linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] vst plugins+instruments under linux
From: Tim Orford (tim_AT_orford.org)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 17:40:27 EEST

> I would like to use vst/plugins/instruments lets say
> absynth under linux and being controlled by pure data.

well the good news is that absynth does seem to work
in pd :-)

> Is it better to run vstserver or to run cubasesx under
> wine and within that the vst-plugins/instruments ???

run vstserver.

> The howto i found
>
> http://www.djcj.org/LAU/quicktoots/toots/vst-plugins/
>
> is a little bit too superficial (at least for me since
> i am not such a linux expert) , Is there anything more
> in depth - including all the steps for wine etc ???

As vstserver is quite new, its not well packaged and the setup
is quite lengthy. Pd also has a learning curve, but its quite
a powerful tool and you will not be wasting your time.

there isnt usually much to do for wine. As a mature
package it is well supported by most distros.
eg urpmi wine
   emerge wine
   etc...
you might have to tweak ~/.wine/config slightly.
check installation by typing "wine notepad" or similar.

so which distro are you using and how far have you got so far?

cheers!

--
Tim Orford