Re: [linux-audio-user] ... like an old vinyl

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ... like an old vinyl
From: Sascha Retzki (lantis_AT_linux.net)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 12:05:07 EEST

--- Anahata <anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:14:58PM -0500, Reuben Martin wrote:
> First: Using an equalizer, kill all frequencies below ~600 and above
> ~2k. Use a graphic EQ for this. (The two values are just examples, you
> can play with both frequencies to get the desired sound you're looking
> for.)
>
> Second: get a recording of the inside blank track that comes after the
> last song of a noisy record. Loop this noise and mix it over top of
> the song once you've done the band pass filter from step one.

That's a bit drastic for vinyl - more like an acoustically recorded
78rpm from about 1920. Those were pressed on shellac, not vinyl.

The priciple's about the same, though - add a few random background
ticks and clicks, a bit of white noise as many vinyl discs had tape
noise from the master, possibly a bit of distortion on peaks if you want
it to sound like a worn record/stylus, and also some gentle frequency
variation at 0.5 Hz (for 33 1/3 rpm) to simulate a less-than perfect
turntable or warped record.

I'm sure it can be done with Linux tools...

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444

I'd say its all possible with audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net Its an Multitrack-able Wave/Mp3/OGG-manipulation tool with LADSPA-support, I think. Anyway, there are a lot of "integrated plugins" that allows what you want to do. A real PROGRAMM can do what you want is not written, I think ... ;)

Sascha Retzki

_____________________________________________________________ Linux.Net -->Open Source to everyone Powered by Linare Corporation http://www.linare.com/