Re: [linux-audio-user] mounting network drives for dummies?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] mounting network drives for dummies?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 06:59:50 EET

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:46:49PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got two Linux boxes, one Gentoo and the other PlanetCCRMA. I
> need to move about 10GB of data from one to the other. How can I do
> this? I guess that over Ethernet maybe Samba or NFS might work? I don't
> know anything about making either of these technologies work, and
> obviously I don't want to start building kernels or anything like that
> to get there.
>
> Has anyone got a tutorial on how to do this easily. I really don't
> want to become an IT guy to make this work.

if you don't have NFS support in your kernels and don't want to bother,
rsync is easy to install and use. Locally, it might transfer a
bit faster if you use it with rsh instead of ssh (you set this with
the RSYNC_RSH environment variable as per the rsync manpage).

NFS isn't too hard, though. google will find you some tutorials.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's MEGABOT PICKLE! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)