Re: [linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio

New Message Reply About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Other groups

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio
From: Guy Clotilde (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 07:05:13 EET

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:38:31 +0000, iriXx wrote / a écrit:

> the point is not free as in beer, its free as in freedom.

yes I'm aware of this, iriXx. And in fact my sentence was calling for yours :)

Anyway I have no doubt that we agree on the GNU principles in this forum. I was following the very interesting discussion about how to transpose it into music and I'd like to share my point of view:
(please everyone excuse my poor english. I hope I will be able to express my ideas in a clear way)

I believe GNU can be translated near without any modifications into music. The key point is understanding what is the "source", talking about music.
The idea of making availabe the separated audio tracks seems actually hard to make (lots of space and cpu time needed).
But historically, the on-paper printed score is the musical "source" that was shared/sold. Now it can be a midifile or better an abc file.

The abc (or midi file) file is human readable (the midifile is not directly human readable, although it's an very well established standard).
The abc file contains all the information needed to reproduce the music, and the resulting music will depend on the hardware (soundcard) as much as a program that runs faster on a faster cpu or with a better compiler. Some could even say that the compiler is the musician who will play the resulting score. Yes that's my final goal. But some would just like to hear the song.

More, the abc file is very small, has the place to contain the authors and the license.

We can want to hear the singer audio tracks, but that is the case where we got to pay the musician for (as well as paying redhat premium services). So there is way to make money (playing live music, that can work , believe me) but not upon the source/score.

Jazz actually exists because musicians can share tons of standards. And of course this is a problem because lots of songs are copyrighted. Technically lots of people are guilty giving music pleasure to people.

Today I'd like to have music available for free when I play music. I want to tell the listeners that I'm playing a song of XXX, with modifications by YYYY and interpretaion by me. I want to modify a song I love. I want to re-use some groovy drums, some clever bass, some smart lyrics. Today it's not possible. We are at best in the situation of ten years before on windows with all the shareware available for free (tons of midifile on the web) but no license permetting the use.

I for one would like to put my poor own songs available under a GNU-Music license, i.e. redistribution is allowed as soon as it allows other (me included) to profit back from the resulting work.

I think that these ideas exist before this post and I hope that I didn't express them in a dumb way.. I'd like to discuss about it, but please, not about money. It's a dead horse, beaten everyday when someone talks about GNU.

Once again, the point is given choice to people and to artists.

cheers.
GuyCLO~
Dreaming of GNU-Music.
-----------------------------------------------
#219055 http://counter.li.org
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/index.html
Change your Linux PC in a Rythm Station with holborn's GMORGAN:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/GMORGAN/index.html

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Thu Oct 30 2003 - 07:06:01 EET