[linux-audio-user] Using a Shure sm57 mic w/ low end soundcard

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Using a Shure sm57 mic w/ low end soundcard
From: Paul Berry (pnberry_AT_gustavus.ak.us)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 02:21:00 EET

Hello all:

I am looking for advice on using a Shure sm57 microphone directly into the mic
input of a Creative sbawe64 gold soundcard. I am using an impedance matching
XLR to 1/8" adapter and I have raised the "capture" level in the mixer.

To record anything (say using arecord) I have to crank up the mic-in level to
full and the result is that I get a lot of hiss and the signal is still
pretty quiet.

Do I need an external preamplifier to use the sm57? If so where can I go to
find one or schematics to build one?

Or is there a simpler way?

Thank you for any suggestions,
Paul