Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: quattro

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: quattro
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 08:57:21 EET

Brian Redfern wrote:
> If I run jackd as root it freezes my machine, but if I run it as as a
> normal user that it hasn't frozen, but as root after about 2 minutes it
> totally freezes up.

This doesn't happen for me.

I use jack + quattro with a celeron 1 Ghz pIII, ASUS microATX mobo, 512
MB RAM, sis630 VGA.

kernel-2.4.21-ll
usb-ohci.
gcc-2.95.4
enlightenment-0.16.x
alsa-driver-0.9.4 (Jul 31 2003 cvs)
jackd-0.90 tarball which Paul made because I cannot compile cvs for some
reason.

I can run for hours without dropouts as root with:

jackd -v -R -a -d alsa -d quattro2 -p 1024 -n 3 -zt

(I cannot actually use alsa as a normal user on this machine but I never
want to anyway. ;)

I wouldn't say the jack driver is useless for me. In fact I just
realised that even though I get spurious amounts of error messages:

late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 2048.

with -n 4 I can run all four channels without obvious playback errors
and with only a couple of dropouts for a simple 10 second record test in
ardour (while also running alsaplayer). However my computer has issues
with changing virtual desktops while running jackd so this crashed after
about two minutes. Straight after I changed desktops though.

Running with -n 3 and recorded for 7 minutes before jackd shutdown. The
sound quality is poorer (very obvious crackling and pops) but I didn't
switch desktops.

This time I prevented a hard reboot by alt+sysreq+e , alt+sysreq+i. BTW
I also experience the problem of jackd not accepting ^C in the term with
this version.

Running with -n 6 the sound quality is much cleaner. I was able to
listen to the previous 7 minutes then record for another 2 before jackd
died. Trying again I was able to record for about 9 minutes before jackd
crashed. Luckily, this time I was able to ^C out :/

This is what the output from jack looks like:

---------
load = 11.0997 max usecs: 2507.000, spare = 20712.000
[...]
load = 10.8494 max usecs: 2461.000, spare = 20758.000
late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 2048.
late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 2048.
late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 2048.
late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 2048.
late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 2048.
late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 2048.
late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 2048.
late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 3072.
delay of 23439.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 20758.000;
restart ...
delay of 23439.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 20758.000;
restart ...
delay of 23439.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 20758.000;
restart ...
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed:
Broken pi
pe
could not start playback (Broken pipe)
jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
Aborted
--------

The load = 10.8494 max usecs: 2461.000, spare = 20758.000 messages are
almost exactly equally spaced until the last one where we get

late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 3072.

jackd seems to be happy as long as the late driver wakeup doesn't exceed
3072. Maybe this could be enforced somehow to make a simple fix for USB
devices. Although I would rather see the complete solution implemented.
(hint hint nudge nudge).

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman