[linux-audio-user] trying to get ssm's JackPlugin working

Subject: [linux-audio-user] trying to get ssm's JackPlugin working
From: Jim Lynch (jwl_AT_debian.org)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 16:14:15 EET

I built jack and ssm (and rebuilt my 2.4.22 kernel with caps, lowlat,
preempt) and I'm having problems getting the plugin to work.

First, there was a function pointer type mismatch in the sample
rate change callback function, which I fixed. Now, recent cvs
ssm builds with jack-0.80.0 (well, for me... I could send my
patch...)

I get the jack plugin gui rect on the canvas of ssm without
problem, it does switch back and forth between detailed and
simple GUI.

When I have the jack plugin without connecting it to anything
and not attached to the jack server, output to the oss output
works fine, but when I tell the jack plugin to attach, I get
a buzz sound whose pitch is the same as the rate the Process
callback is being called; if I have a mixer before the output
plugin, the volume of the pitch is scaled by the volume sliders.

When I have any jack plugin input connected from any ssm plugin
output, -and- the plugin is attached to jackd -and- the jack
plugin's input is routed to an alsa output, I get a different-
sounding buzz that is also the same rate as the Process callback
invocations. This buzzing sound is -not- scaled by any volume
sliders in ssm.

At the moment, I'm not sure what to do... but I'm looking into
the possibility that the samples as represented by jack are
not of the same data type (-and- don't get converted) as the
samples as represented by ssm.

Comments? Help? :)

-Jim

--