Re: [linux-audio-user] anyone using jack with suse?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] anyone using jack with suse?
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 12:56:28 EET

On Sunday 16 Nov 2003 9:42 pm, Christain Bunge wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 16. November 2003 22:01 schrieb Brian Redfern:
> > Hi there, since I'm sure I'm not the only one running suse (8.2),
> > I'm wondering how other suse users are running jack, are you
> > using suse jack rpms or have you compiled all your jack using
> > apps from source, such as getting the latest cvs versions of
> > jack, rosegarden, fluid synth, etc...

With SuSE 8.2 it's a bit tricky, as the version of JACK included is
old enough that some recent applications won't even compile with it
(as it doesn't include the new transport API etc). But if you
install a newer JACK for the purposes of building newer apps, you'll
get into trouble with any JACK-based apps already installed that were
built against the old one, because they aren't compatible at the
protocol level.

I would probably recommend uninstalling the SuSE JACK package and
everything that depends on it, and going for the 0.90 release
instead. In my experience the packaged audio apps often don't work
as well as any you might build yourself anyway (e.g. the Rosegarden-4
package doesn't work for me as supplied in either SuSE 8.2 or 9.0 --
on 8.2 you unfortunately need to do "CXXFLAGS=-O0 ./configure" to
build Rosegarden without optimisation to work around a compiler bug).

> Hi, I`m working with suse 8.2, I try to patch the suse kernel but
> that don`t work. [...] Maybe
> somebody know if suse has integrated the lowlatency patch to the
> suse kernel?

Don't know, but I do find the stock SuSE kernel gives better audio
performance than the stock RedHat one. So it's possible they have
some of the patches.

Chris