Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Via 8233

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Via 8233
From: Gustavo Zamorano S. (gzsuniq_AT_cableonda.net)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 02:47:27 EET

I also have a Via 8233 audio controller and have no audio output from
the conector on the back part of the PC. I only have output from the
front conector. I was assuming that MY hardware had some problem.
Is it normal?...

GZS

My hardware is as follows:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
00:08.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone]
(rev 34)
00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt848 Video
Capture (rev 12)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/B/686A/B PIPC Bus
Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97
Audio Controller (rev 50)
00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Intel 537 [AC97
Modem] (rev 80)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II]
(rev 74)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. [ProSavageDDR K4M266]

Q wrote:
> Hmm, well I am at work atm so can't check. But I do know all my
> configuration files are pretty much untouched. I haven't changed anything.
>
> I don't know about rear speakers. I currently have no sound as I only have a
> digital audio cable going to an external dolby decoder - and I'm trying to
> get SPDIF to work.. I do know that if SPDIF does work the rear speakers
> aren't used unless you are watching a Dolby Digital movie - that is what the
> 5:1 thing is all about. There are currenty only a very few music CDs
> recorded in Dolby digital - and even fewer in DTS.
>
> I hope this helps.

> Looks like I am in the same boat as you...
> What does the first line of /proc/asound/card0/ac97#0 say?
>
> Also did you by any chance get the rear speakers working? I need a
> detailed explenation, because it simply doesn't work for me.
> On tir, 2003-11-25 at 14:57, Q wrote:
>

>>I guess this is a long shot, but do any of you guys know >how to get
>
> digital
>
>>out/SPDIF sound working on a Via 8233 sound chip?
>>
>>I have searched high and low for an answer to this and >have had no luck
>
> at
>
>>all.

This Message is sent from my Red Hat 9.0 Linux server
      Machine Registration number 205692 at http://counter.li.org/

.-. Gustavo Zamorano S. .-. | Registered Linux user number 320898 .-. | | at http://counter.li.org/ | | | | ___ |