Re: [linux-audio-user] What HW do I need?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] What HW do I need?
From: Greg Reddin (gtreddin_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 17:52:54 EET

--- Erik Steffl <steffl_AT_bigfoot.com> wrote:
> why not 1010LT? because of the external box (no computer noises
> in
> converters)? looks like there is a fairly big price difference
> ($400 vs.
> $800) between 1010LT and 1010

I've heard that some of the 1010LT's capabilities are not supported
by ALSA, but I haven't yet found one. The breakout box with balanced
connectors and converters is a pretty big advantage. Several times
I've wished I'd opted for it just for that reason. However that
would've required me to get an external preamp as well.

For what you're describing, the 1010LT should work. I don't make
full use of the MIDI features. I plug my keyboard controller in and
it works. I'm not sure if MIDI out works, but I suspect it does. If
you find yourself wanting to go to a more professional quality setup,
the balanced connectors on the 1010 breakout box will be needed, so
I'd go ahead and spend the extra money up front if you have it. It's
cheaper than trying to upgrade later.

Greg