Re: [linux-audio-user] TiMidity++ and FluidSynth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] TiMidity++ and FluidSynth
From: Guy Clotilde (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 06:22:21 EET

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:13:25 +0100 (MET), Joerg Anders wrote / a écrit:

> Here you'll find a MIDI file of a bigband song and the
> MP3s produced by:
>
> - Hardware synthesis
> - TiMidity synthesis
> and
> - FluidSynth synthesis
>
> All 3 used the same soundfont (8mbgmsfx.sf2).
> All three are sampled 44100 Hz
>
> You'll find that only the Hardware synthesis sounds
> like a bigband.
>
> BTW: This example also illustrates the effect of the
> "attacking" strings in FluidSynth. The strings
> are practically inaudible.

Hi all
just my own opinion, but I think I should, for what it's worth: I use timidity for main midi synth (with muse). But when I want to play with a soundfont, there's no question: fluidsynth is better. The Roland_Piano and the Rhodes_mkII soundfonts definetely are better with fluidsynth. Especially the Rhodes samples, because timidity doesn't handle at all the builtin vibrato effect. Fluidsynth does. Just one thing, I don't know how to change the buffers size in fluid synth.
And as another poster said, the samples on the web page above have not been equally done (Timidity effects, volume, sample rate 44100 and fluidsynth pitch because sample rate 48000).

cheers all.
GuyCLO~