Re: [linux-audio-user] Looking for a good laptop.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Looking for a good laptop.
From: derek holzer (derek_AT_x-i.net)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 14:45:33 EET

Everything for "normal" laptops applies, PLUS more on the hardware side!
I realized this after fighting with the PCMCIA slot sof my laptop to get
my HDSP soundcard working for the better part of this year [on and off].

RME-audio [makers of Hammerfall systems] has useful [although not always
totally current for newest models] info about different laptop models,
as well as a list of things to watch out for. This like:

which chipsets perform badly for audio
why you should avoid shared-memory graphics chips
info about USB bandwidth and audio dropouts
etc etc

Worth a look even if you can't shell out EUR 1K for an HDSP.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/index.htm

good luck,
d.