Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: ALSA: What is the website missing?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: ALSA: What is the website missing?
From: Thomas Charbonnel (thomas_AT_undata.org)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 14:20:33 EET

Robert Epprecht wrote :
> Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com> writes:
>

>>Also, could everyone who is interested please have a look at this
>>updated version of the matrix:
>>
>>http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php
>>
>>I will be working on this page from now on.
>

> That's very much appreciated. The outdated soundcard matrix was one of
> the biggest drawbacks of the ALSA project, IMHO.
>
> BTW: Why does the selection of the manufacturer not stay in the field
> but returns to the first choice (AudioExcel) after I klick on Go?
>
> BTW2: In order to double check some information given below I tried the
> search from the main ALSA page. It gave me a 'Not Found' error :-(
>

> The following comments belong to the details of the RME Hammerfall DSP
> card family:
>
> Firmware: In the past there have been problems with different firmware
> versions, but different people got different results: i.e. there's a
> comment in the matrix from Johannes Taelman about him having to downgrade
> the firmware to version 10, while I made the experience the other way
> round: v10 did *not* work for me, v11 (0b) did. I have heard (but not
> tested myself) that the firmware problem is solved in the newest drivers,
> so I vote for *deleting* the existing firmware comments from the matrix
> in order not to confuse new users. As RME seems to change firmware from
> time to time I would find it helpful to tell new users how they can
> determine which version their card has (see below).

I vote for this too, and also to remove outdated comments about sr >
48000 Hz being unsupported.

> Some important steps that I had missed on the path of setting up a
> RME Hammerfall DSP card (in my case a PCI interface and a multiface)
> on a Linux box using ALSA let me propose the following detail comments
> to the sound card matrix:
>

> * There are some really nice add-ons from Thomas Charbonnel for this card
> family in the alsa-tools package.
>
> * After loading the snd-hdsp module you *have to* call hdsploader from
> alsa-tools. The driver does not work without that step.

This is true only for multiface/digiface users. This step is not
required for hdsp 96xx users.

> * Things like un-muting, setting channel levels and channel routing is
> done in 'hdspmixer' from alsa-tools.

Or with amixer (we should consider non-gui users). The amixer matrix
mixer syntax explanations should be kept (and enhanced for hdsp 9632
users : for the input parameter 0-15 = physical input, 16-31 = software
output)

> * Settings like clock sync, sample rate and type of SPDIF in/out are set
> by the program called 'hdspconf' from the same package.

Or with amixer, again.

> * If you encounter problems it might be a good idea to mention the firmware
> version of your card when reporting/asking. Determine it with 'lspci -vv'

Nice one, thanks :)

Thomas