Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA: What is the website missing?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA: What is the website missing?
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 12:11:11 EET

On Monday 01 December 2003 13:06, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> As some of you already know I am the occasional webmaster/docs
> maintainer for ALSA.
>
> I have been planning some additions to the site to make it more
> accessible but before I jump into anything that could be considered a
> facelift I would like to get some opinions from y'all.

tbh: the only thing I've actually used the site for is soundcard info. The
idea of a facelift sounds good, this might prompt me to look at the rest of
the site. The front page is rather 'dry' and looks like it's only intended
for developers/experienced users - I'm also not keen on that pale grey-green
colour, but that's a personal thing. A more informative & extensive contents
listing here would probably encourage me to use more of the site.

> Can you tell me what things you would like to have on the website that
> are not already there? What things have you noticed while using it that
> are not user friendly?
>
> I would like to add a database for some kind of card rating system.
>
> What would you consider valuable things to rate a card against?

I don't know if 'rating' is quite the thing. But info on things like
soundfont support, whether the external MIDI port is known to work or not
would be useful info.

> All opinions will be considered so don't hold back ;-]

and while we're at it:
http://www.agnula.org/documentation/dp_tutorials/alsa_jack_ladspa/
and these also may be useful:
http://www.suse.de/~mana/alsa090_howto.html
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=AlsaGlossary
http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon

As you've asked, I'll go look at the site a bit more deeply.
That said, It's a useful resource, thanks for even bothering :-)

cheers

tim hall