Re: [linux-audio-user] License free Linux ??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] License free Linux ??
From: Greg Reddin (gtreddin_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 17:49:08 EET

--- Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net> wrote:
> I think the legal aspects are well
> understood here

But are they? I mean, is there precedent? Has the GPL (or any open
source license) been tested in court? Or are we just going on our
collective opinion of what the licenses mean?

Forgive me if I'm just not privy to any precedent. I've only been a
"full-scale" open source adopter for less than a year and have
limited knowledge of its history (only what I've gleaned from Eric
Raymond's book and website). But I can't help but wonder if we all
just *assume* the GPL has legal clout. I know part of what we hope
to get out of the SCO fiasco is validation that our licensing models
work. But have they been proven thus far to protect our IP while
providing the appropriate freedoms?

Just wondering,
Greg