Re: [linux-audio-user] ebay guy: looks like he figured it out

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ebay guy: looks like he figured it out
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 12:46:55 EET

On Saturday 06 December 2003 15:42, Jan Depner wrote:
> Uh, Tim, why don't you just download the software and make CDs for your
> friends yourself?

a) I don't actually have a CD burner yet
b) I'm so green around the gills that I wouldn't have a clue how to create
Windows or Mac compatible binaries. Most of my friends wouldn't know what to
do with the source code either. Really and truly an open source package
manager for these systems would be the way to go. (I've not looked)
c) I'd be more inclined to offer to install some version of Linux for them if
they were really that interested and let them go from there.

Apart from that, point taken.

cheers

tim hall

PS: Watching my nine-year old and various friends use my system, I'd say the
Linux Desktop for casual users is here, given the availability of technical
support. IMX it's the configuration that is difficult, not the installation &
usage.