Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Firewire, what's the story?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Firewire, what's the story?
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 14:45:05 EET

Hi,

Monday 08 December 2003 13.32 skrev Steve Harris:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 12:20:19 +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> > Oh my!
> >
> > I wonder what the price for one of these would amount to...
> > http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=18&page=1
>
> Its about EUR800.

That aint bad at all, infact it seems quite a bargain!

> and heres another one:
> http://sound-on-sound2.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=215094572&f=59409057
>4&m=5823013067&r=5823013067

There is plenty of choice in this area it seems.

> (UKP450 is about EUR650)
>
> I think linux is loosing out by not supporting any of these.

It definitely seems so.

> They seem to
> be a better option than USB devices for higher end stuff, while being
> cheaper than the PCMCIA stuff.

I'm might not be the one to judge, but with the specs presented I'd say it's
also better than PCI based soundcards.
- Better price/performance
- more I/O
- better SnR than most PCI cards, all AD/DA is by definition external.
Latency might be an issue, I don't know...

Is there something we can do to try support this stuff? I don't recall the
outcome of the last mLan/Firewire discussion. Are there some specs that are
not available to us?

/Robert