RE: Is the Linux desktop really here ? was: Re: [linux-audio-user] ebayguy: looks like he figured it out

Subject: RE: Is the Linux desktop really here ? was: Re: [linux-audio-user] ebayguy: looks like he figured it out
From: John Bleichert (syborg_AT_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 16:46:31 EET

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net wrote:

> Dave,
>
> The one thing that I would do (I had to do this for my wife because she has to have Excel for her job) is to buy Crossover Office and Crossover plugin so that you can load Micro$oft Orifice and some nice browser plugins. It's well worth the 70 bucks and then they don't have to worry about format problems. Of course, you do have to own a copy of Micro$oft Orifice first ;-) Do you get the feeling that I'm not a big fan of Micro$oft ;-D
>
> Jan

Bull. For a standard desktop user, flash and java work fine in Mozilla.
I've moved half my family over to Slackware/Mozilla/OpenOffice for the
same reasons the O.P. is doing it. It works fine for all of them, nearly
bulletproof. I've even convinced my Sister (with the help of my nephew) to
use Mozilla for web and email and OO on her XP laptop. Been doing fine for
a year now.

Unless the target user is a really hardcore MS Office user, there is
nothing they'll need CodeWeavers for. If they are, that's a different
story. Just my 2 pfennig.

Sorry for the OT follow-up.

// John Bleichert
// syborg_AT_earthlink.net